Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Diving Forums > Spearfishing Board

Old 06-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
Tight Lipped

Default Hello, New Here

Hello, I just found out about this site, great place. I have been diving for 15 years and love NJ Diving. I especially like spearfising, I use a pneumatic mares gun and have another I am rebuilding.

Anyone tell me how to add pics?
Tight Lipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default Welcome To Mof

Glad to have you here!

I have shot a Hawaiian sling, but I'm going to start speargunning some fish this summer, if all goes well. I want to learn something new
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
kikaida
Super Moderator

Wlcome to the board Rob!!! Glad you're here

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Lipped
Anyone tell me how to add pics?
Hi Rob and Welcome aboard!!

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to post pictures

http://momentoffame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32

How long have you been spearfishing? And what is the length of your speargun?

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
Tight Lipped

Hello

I have pretty much been spearfishing since 1994, I have a Mares Pneumatic, it is about 2 1/2' I have it at 25 BAR which is about 370 psig right now. Any higher and I cannot get the spear into the tube under water. I found this pressure to be the best setting. It has a max of 40 BAR (688 psig). I rebuilt it last year and have another one of a different make and need new seals for it.

I mainly hunt TAUTOG and Flounder with an occasional Monkfish.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
scubapro5
Administrator

So I assume you dont need much range for the fish you target? Do you find that the noise that your Pneumatic speargun makes attracts or scares away other fish in the area?

Over here on the west coast we use banded guns with longer range to target the bigger fish and its quiter so it doesn't scare away other fish at distance.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Tight Lipped

You cannot hear my gun at all, in fact; if you hear that pop it means you are loosing air when you fire it.

As for range, I can hit a fish at 15' no problem. I like it because its compact, the band guns I found to long and compersome. And I always managed to break a band when I needed it most.

I also have an 8' pole spear (all solid fiberglass) with a three prong paralyzer tip. Picked it up at a yard sale for $20, can't beat that.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Quote:
You cannot hear my gun at all, in fact; if you hear that pop it means you are loosing air when you fire it.

As for range, I can hit a fish at 15' no problem. I like it because its compact, the band guns I found to long and compersome. And I always managed to break a band when I needed it most.

I also have an 8' pole spear (all solid fiberglass) with a three prong paralyzer tip. Picked it up at a yard sale for $20, can't beat that.
So, I guess you have some good broken band stories?

That's a classic yard sale deal Way to go
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #9
Tight Lipped

Not really, When i first started hunting I had a 24" 2 band gun, this was a classic POS.

It had no power at all, I shot a tog one time not even 4' in front of me and the thing bounced off, the funny thing was it actually knocked the fish out. At first I was like man what crap but then I saw the fish just floating there so I grabbed it an put it in my bag. On that same dive I saw a nich door mat right under me, I shot it too but it barely penetrated and the fish was strong enough to wiggle free, I bet that beatch is still alive somewhere too.

Buy I had a few time I was trying to load and the band snapped on me, I started carry a spare under with me.

My buddies use to joke and said I should get a tip that looks like a fist and I could jst knock my game out.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Not really, When i first started hunting I had a 24" 2 band gun, this was a classic POS.

It had no power at all, I shot a tog one time not even 4' in front of me and the thing bounced off, the funny thing was it actually knocked the fish out. At first I was like man what crap but then I saw the fish just floating there so I grabbed it an put it in my bag. On that same dive I saw a nich door mat right under me, I shot it too but it barely penetrated and the fish was strong enough to wiggle free, I bet that beatch is still alive somewhere too.

Buy I had a few time I was trying to load and the band snapped on me, I started carry a spare under with me.

My buddies use to joke and said I should get a tip that looks like a fist and I could jst knock my game out.
LMAO!! :nanabang

I shoot a Riffe speargun with 3 bands and "one time in band camp" Oh thats another story oops

When I first got my Riffe I shot a fish from long distance and I saw the shaft shoot out then hit the ground and I thought how did I miss that fish and then when I got closer I realized the whole shaft went straight thru the fish and it just sat there motionless in the water.

So my Riffe has alot of power.

I like your technic with using a fist to knock the fish out though

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
Tight Lipped

The best shot I ever got off was with the pneumatic gun. I was hunting TAUTOG (TOG or Blackfish) and swimming up the deck when a nice 25" came up from a hole in the deck. Now anyone who has hunted tog knows they are pretty smart and like to get in line with you when they see you, they will then cut into a hole or dive down but always have some way out and you lose them.

This time he saw me an went to edge, I fired as he was angling donw and hit him in the A#$, the spear came out through the top of his head and he still fought me good.

Like I always say

"TASTE BETTER WITH BUTTER"
Old 06-21-2005, 03:16 AM   #12
scubapro5
Administrator

I want to shot some bigger game fish this season when I get a chance

Roger

www.momentoffame.com