Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Diving Forums > Spearfishing Board

Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
kikaida
Super Moderator

Default Tell me your stories!

Who of you do this? I'd love to hear some of your spearfishing stories.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Hey Johnny, it's me, proe_geek from 976-TUNA!

Anyway, I gotta pretty good speargun story. One day, I had to leave early from work cause my wife was about to have our first kid, a boy. Anyway, before I left for the hosp, I stopped at my bosses office and told him what was goin on. Anyway, there was an AS9100 (aerospace compliance) audit taking place at my work that day and I told the Pres. "Hey don't let anyone near my office, okay?" and he said "don't worry Randy, they won't get past me" (he reached behind his desk and whipped out an antique speargun with rotted-out rubber bands. I laughed so heard I almost gagged. Picture a white-haired man like Leslie Nielsen shaking an antique Sea-Hunt style spear gun over his head. I was LOL all the way to the hospital. I told my wife what happened and she was bustin up too. The kid came soon after all the laughter died back down.

Hey Johnny, have fun hoopin for bugs! I'll need to pick your brain for advice later.
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
kikaida
Super Moderator

Funny story, I'll be posting a bug report this weekend some time. Advice is always free :D

Old 10-01-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
scubapro5
Administrator

Have you ever spearfished or are you interested in learning?

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

I've only use a Hawaiian sling. I would really like to learn how to spearfish.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
navyfish

Here's one for ya. This dates back 21 to 23 years. It was my first year in H.S. maybe 2nd yr. But my friend and I used to spend the summers at the beach free diving for crabs, octopus, fish or what ever we could sell for money. Well we got run out of King Harbor by harbor patrol & there were no crabs to be found under Cattleman's (that's a old name) so we headed toward Torrance beach. We made a stop at this litte group of rocks at the waters edge that sits between the Pier & the jetty. We started in aprox. 20' of water and didn't see much. Just some SMALL buts. Well I started to work into shallow waters. I found (spooked) a couple nice buts which got the blood running. Now I'm thinking fish tacos. I called my friend over to the area so we could cover the area better. As we got into about 5' of water I spotted a large piece of fin. (This is how we found them. Look for the eyes or a section of exposed fin). So I backed off to get my buddy over to help out incase I spooked another one. As we got set I drove the spear into the fish. At the time I used one of those solid fiberglass poles with the three prong tip. Well when that fish shook off the mud it turned out to be the biggest I've ever seen. Now I know things look bigger under water but that had nothing to do with it. I stood up in the water and buried my fins to try and slow the fish. As I started getting pulled thru the water looking like a Jaws movie I tried to pull the fish out of the water. Now I looked like I had a fishing pole rather then a spear pole. My pole was doubled over like a big tuna was on the end. My buddy was trying to swim over as fast as possible to put a second into the monster but when he got within 5' my pole snapped in two and the beast knocked him off his feet in the water. We looked at each other, then my pole, well what I had left and both tried to guess the size. We figure it was somewhere in the range of 4'-5' long. It looked like a sheet of plywood with eyes. Needless to say that ended the days festivities. I'm still looking for that fish. One day we'll meet again and it'll be taco time. :twisted:

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Thats a classic fish story. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Tight Lipped

Was Diving in Moorehead City, North Carolin on a wreck I cannot remeber the name of. This is great diving with very warm water and great visibility, The wreck was on its side (I'd say a 200' wreck here) in about 70' to 100+ to the sand. All the divers were on the deck side checking out the tropicals and stuff. My buddy and I swam up and over, went to the sand and swam along the bottom when a giant manta flopped out of the sand and swam away from up. No lie this thing had to have a 15 to 25' wing span on it, it was the most amazing think I ever saw underwater next to diving on the Pappose in NC, there are hundreds of Sand Tiger sharks all over it, you swim right in the middle of them.
Tight Lipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
kikaida
Super Moderator

Yeah them rays get huge! I was at The Aquarium of the Pacific a few weeks ago and they had this massive ray in a tank, must have been near 10' across. Looked like a flying carpet. 15' to 25' is gigantic!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Tight Lipped

Exactly what I thought, like a huge carpet. so graceful to, had a mindset like it did'nt have a care in the world.
Tight Lipped is offline   Reply With Quote