Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Reports

Old 04-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Rpt-Weds. 4-27 Limits of Tails SE of 295

10 yellowtail 12-15 lbs. heading to the Barbie.
7 yellowtail 4-6 lbs. released

Fishing Wed. with Jeff Warren on his 25' Skipjack, "Tenacious". We left Jeff's slip in Mission Bay shortly after 11pm Tuesday night, picked up a scoop and a half of outstanding dines, cried when we returned with nearly a scoop of cured dines, and fed em to the Pelicans and Seagulls. Like good weather, good bait needs to be cherished.

At midnight, just past Point Loma, I hailed JT on his boat High & Dry, they were just passing the Coronado Islands. Our destinations were similar, southeast of the 295, and we were buddy boating for the day. At 4:45am we arrived at three miles southeast of the 295 in 62.2 degree water, which had held for at least 15 miles. We waited until grey light at 5:45 am, and put the trolling rigs in, now 78 miles from Mission Bay. We began looking for kelp paddies, signs of birds, and a temp break. Our water temp was gradually decreasing from 62.2 to 59.9 degrees, 11 miles southeast of the 295. I hailed JT, and they were 6 miles further south, also in 59 degree water, what gives, the SST's showed much warmer water south of the 238, albeit, they were a couple of days old?

I looked at Jeff and indicated we best head back north to warmer waters, and alerted JT to that effect. We pulled in the jigs and cruised at 20 knots northwest. Jeff spots a kelp paddy, not very big, but thick & deep, and we slide on into it. Neither of our baits are bit, so we began to reel in, I started pumping my bait in, and tap tap, free spool, and game on! Jeff is bit on the wind in seconds later. These Yellowtail had decent size to them, and we began weaving back and forth to follow our fish, as they swam right to left and back again. I finally gaffed mine, a solid 15 lb. fish, Jeff yells, I'm ready and I gaff his fish, almost the same size. We both toss baits, and are bit instantly, same routine, I gaff mine, then gaff Jeff's fish, both a bit smaller at 12 lbs.

Here is Jeff with his biggest tail.

Here I am with my biggest tail.

We move back up to the kelp, which is now several hundred yards away. As we do, I hail JT and let him know where we are, they are headed our way. As we slide back on to the kelp, we both toss a healthy dine and once again, we were both bit instantly! A good fight, and same routine, I gaff my fish, then gaff Jeff's, and tell him, it's his turn to gaff a fish, Ha! Ha! So I'm bit again, Jeff place's his rod in the rod holder, as I yell deep color, and finally Jeff's gaff's my fish. Jeff turns and he sees his rod go bendo, is this fun or what? We both add another tail for limits and it's only 7am. We wait for JT to show on the horizon, and after 30 minutes, give JT our numbers, as he has stopped on some breaking fish, which have lockjaw.

Jeff with a couple of tails.

Cory with a couple of tails.

We continue to troll northwest, and pass by numerous kelp paddy's, now concentrating on Albacore. We spot JT on the horizon, and they are stopped on a paddy, it wasn't too long before they also had limits of quality tails.

We troll 20 miles north of the 295, in beautiful clear blue water, reaching 63 degrees, but no albacore. As we trolled by several kelp paddy's, we hooked a few rat tails, quickly released. JT was working west of us and had similar results. We pulled in the jigs and ran to the 371, as it was now 1 pm. The water began to turn to an off color blue, but rose to 63.9 degrees. The kelp's we stopped on, yielded a few more rat tails, but no albacore. Ran to the 302, where we found a dirty green water, and 62.8 temp. Called it a day and arrived MB at 3:30pm. after stopping to filet the fish.

Catch of the day.

The weather was outstanding, and it was so clear, this pic does not do it justice, but from the 371 you can clearly see the Coronado Islands, and even the Point.

Thanks a bunch Jeff, I sure love getting your clean boat all bloody!
Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
FishSniper1

XLNT job Cory, that yellowtail makes the best Ceviche !

Congratulations on your kill, the start of this season looks better every day!

-JIM
FishSniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
biggabe
Team MOF

always on the fish, way to go cory
biggabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
alBACKore14

aw man that sounded great cory! sounded like a short day LOL thanks for the report and pics!

-eric

Eric.
alBACKore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
tunaslam
Team MOF

Thanks Jim, BigGabe & Eric, it was a blast and with unexpected great weather. Cory
Old 04-28-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Cory congrats on the yellows!

I know they were not the target fish for you but I would rather have Yellowtails over Albies for me.

Thanks for the report and pics!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com

Last edited by scubapro5; 04-28-2005 at 09:10 AM.
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
Fishnit

Nice fish Cory
Way to be on the fish
Thanks for the report

Last edited by Fishnit; 04-28-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
kikaida
Super Moderator

Another great report, good job on the tails.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
tunaslam
Team MOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Hey Cory congrats on the yellows!

I know they were not the target fish for you but I would rather have Yellowtails over Albies for me.

Thanks for the report and pics!
Tails are always a great plan "B" of couse a little of both tuna & tails are the best combo. Cory
Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
navyfish

Damn fine report, thanks for making me drool. LOL This is starting to turn into a great season. Thanks again for the report.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Way to slay, Cory!

Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #12
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Thanks Navy Fish & MokaHeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy_fish
Damn fine report, thanks for making me drool. LOL This is starting to turn into a great season. Thanks again for the report.
Glad you folks enjoy the post, thanks for the feedback. Cory