Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Reports

Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Rpt Sat. 5-03-08 Descanzo Carnage

Fishing Sat. 05-03-08 with Tony Jr. on his 21’ Triumph. “Bad Fish” with his Dad Tony Sr. I drove down from Diamond Bar to meet both Tony’s at their house near San Diego at 5am. We launched out of the MCRD at 6am, and made our way down to Descanzo Bay in very nice seas. We didn’t stop for any bait, as we all were happy to fish with lures or plastics for our targeted species. We figured if the unlikely event of yellowtail showed up, we would throw the iron at them, or troll.

As we passed the Rock pile near 7:30 am, we hailed anyone available for a fish report. Several replies indicated no Tails, and very slow for everything else. So we continued on down to Descanzo to fish the shallow water critters that reside in the bay.

It was another awesome day on the water, as the weather was great, the fish were hungry, and the company was extraordinary. We started fishing in about 90’ of water, in 61 degree water. We had registered 63.3 degrees near the rock pile, which later in the day warmed up to 66 degrees in select areas.

Tony found some good marks on the meter, and the bite was on. My first drop fishing a 5” plastic with a 1.5 oz leadhead, and a teaser plastic set 24” above resulted in a double hook up, as a Red Vermillion eat the plastic and a quality Calico Bass jumped on the teaser.

Another look

Tony dropped a plastic down and came up with this Dandy Sandy.

Another look

Both the Reds and Sand or Calico Bass were on a serious chew.

Here I am with a nice Sand Bass.

Another look

Tony Jr. with a Red Vermillion, as big as Tony is, that Red Vermillion looks mighty small.

Another look

Myself with another Red Vermillion

As good as the morning fishing was, the afternoon fishing in a little deeper water of 125’ was simply wide open. The lingcod were extremely numerous. I had a number of drops where two lings climbed aboard. Not to be out done in catching a double barrel of fish, Tony switched to a Shimano Butterfly jig with two hooks, and came up with a fish on each hook, a Chocolate Rockfish, and Calico Bass, his first double on this rig.

Another look

The Calico Bass were plentiful, and quality in size, including this big guy caught by Junior.

Another look

The wind tried several times to spoil the afternoon, but backed off each time. By 2:00 pm we had caught loads of fish, and didn’t want to press our luck with the wind, facing a 30 mile up hill ride home. So we washed down the deck, and stored everything away that might get wet or blow over. Just before we were to get under way, I looked up at the meter and saw a nice cloud of fish suspended over a pinnacle. Hey Captain, gotta make one more drop. Threw my plastic set up out for the last time today, didn’t even hit bottom when these two large grumpy’s jumped all over my plastics.

We ended the day with limits of Calico and Sand Bass, all Calicos released, kept a few Sandies.

14 Red Vermillion, over 20 lings, all released, 10 assorted rockfish, a few sculpin, and a whitefish.

The day’s catch.

Another look

Tony Jr. and Sr., what a blast of a day, thanks so much for the invite, the fishing and weather was just fantastic. I also was impressed with the ride on your 21’ Triumph, with total walk around capability, and was very spacious for this size boat. I also love the fact that the 140 hp four stroke Suzuki engine gets over 3MPG, at a 25 MPH cruising speed, wow! Can’t wait until we do it again.

Hook up!

Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
scubapro5
Administrator

Now thats some great-fun fishing!

Where is Descanzo Bay?

Congrats on a great trip and thanks for the report!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Bank Robber
Team MOF

Excellent job and on the artificial baits no less.
Bank Robber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Fishnit

WTG Cory looks like fun
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Now thats some great-fun fishing!

Where is Descanzo Bay?

Congrats on a great trip and thanks for the report!
A few miles past the Rockpile, 30 miles south of Point Loma.

Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote