Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Reports

Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Rpt. Weds. 2-21-07 Killer winter bass trip!

A 61 fish day for the two of us, wow that's incredible winter bass'n!

Fishing Wed., with Lal, on his boat "Tailman", we launched out of Davies, in Long Beach, at 5:30 am. It was a beautiful morning, clear skies, barely a hint of wind, and the lights in the harbor, and out to sea shone like bright stars.

We arrived at our starting point along the Palos Verde coast at around 7am. Our cruise over, was as smooth as silk, at 29 mph. Stopped on a nice pinnacle, with good marks. Lal was on fire for the first 10-15 minutes, catching a bunch of sandies, a decent Calico and a big sculpin. I finally shook off the few short bites, and set the hook on a 2 lb. sand bass, then another, a third, and then my biggest Calico of the day, about a 2.25 lb. bass. Biggest Sand Bass was probably 2.5 lbs.

Here is Lal with a nice 2.5 lb. Calico Bass.

Here I am with a dandy 2.25 lb. Calico Bass.

The sun came up and the warmth was refreshing, as we began to shed our jackets and sweatshirts. We could not see Catalina, as it appeared to be shrouded in it?s own blanket of clouds. However, the coast was crystal clear.

We made a multitude of moves along the coast, stopping on numerous good marks, but for the most part the bite came in flurries, then it continued to be a real slow pick., despite metering lots of bait and plenty of bass. Water temps started out at 58.5 and were up to 60 degrees, by the time we left, and the water was fairly clear.

By noon we had over 45 bass between us, with only six Calicos to show for our efforts. Then we made a move back to where we started, and the Calico?s finally wanted to play. We both caught another 5 to six Calico Bass a piece, with Lal catching the Jackpot, a 3.25 lb. Calico Bass.

It was very peculiar, that when we had the best bites, the meter was nearly empty, bizarre if you ask me? But that?s fishing, right? We made a few more drifts for nothing, before calling it a day at 2:30 pm, with 61 mixed bass to 3.25 lbs. , about 75 % Sand Bass.

All the Calico bass were released, to fight another day. Kept a few sandies & the sculpin for fish tacos. We also caught a few Johnny bass, but they were scarce. The hot plastic was again a 4? Red Flake, the 5? plastics don?t seem to work well during the winter feeding period.

Thanks Lal for the invite, another great day on the Tailman, can?t wait until we do it again. Hook up! Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Fishnit

WTG! Cory and Lal
Nice report. Man that Lal sure knows where those sucker are.
Glad you guys had a great day
Keep the reports coming
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Do you guys use scents or use squid strips when throwing plastics?

Nice going on the Bass!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Hey Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Do you guys use scents or use squid strips when throwing plastics?

Nice going on the Bass!
Yes we use Pro Cure Calico sauce. I used to use a squid strip, but Lal almost always outfished me without one, so I stopped using squid, unless the sculpin are thick, then I use it to entice the sculpin, which make the best fish tacos.

Cory
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnit
WTG! Cory and Lal
Nice report. Man that Lal sure knows where those sucker are.
Glad you guys had a great day
Keep the reports coming
Lal is a really great bass master, he has an uncanny ability to pick the right spot, and catch a lot of fish using plastics. A twitch here, a twitch there, and bam the plastic gets hammered.

I've only outfished Lal once, tied him a few times though.

Cory