Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Main Fishing Board

Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
navyfish

Default Shark Fishing & Guns

I had a reader ask this question but I cannot find the original post to reply in so I'll put it here. The core of the question was what are the rules concerning shooting a shark prior to boating it and here's what I got from the DFG.

Sport fishermen may take sharks by hook and line or by hand
(Section 28.65 of the 2006 California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations booklet), by spearfishing (Section 28.90), by spear, harpoon or bow and arrow (Section 28.95).

Firearms are not a legal method of take for sharks, so a gun cannot be used to assit to take or land a shark. If a shark is already in the person's possession (in the boat), the Department does not regulate how it is killed.

In regards to the legality of shooting a firearm from your boat, it would
depend on your location, what county/city you are in, and how far offshore. In general, no city allows you to discharge a firearm in their jurisdiction.
A person would have to contact the city/county law enforcement office that has jurisdiction over the area they are fishing to determine how far off-shore they would need to be.

Best Regards,

Ed Roberts

Edgar W. Roberts III
Marine Biologist
California Department of Fish and Game
619 Second Street
Eureka, CA 95501
707.441.5757 Office
707.445.7883 Fax
707.290.5336 Cell
[email protected]

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
kikaida
Super Moderator

Boooooo!

"But officer, it's not a gun...it's a....it's a very VERY short bang-stick!"

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Fishnit

Good subject to post Mark
I've always wondered about that.
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
navyfish

Johnny, I got a call in about the use of a bang stick from a boat also. From what I've found it's in the grey area if used out of the water.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
scubapro5
Administrator

Thanks for the info

I did not know it was illegal

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Xlobsterman

Cool Shooting Sharks

Well Boys & Girls,
it is legal to discharge a firearm when you are 3 miles offshore! This puts you in Federal waters, and out of the local city/county juristiction!

When I fished sharks in So. Cal. I shot everything I landed with a Stainless Ruger 22/45 I had holstered to my fighting belt. The 22 was cheap to shoot, and it worked great for me!!!! I would shoot the shark in the gills, this would drop the sharks blood presure, and they would die fairly quick.

Notice the bullet holes in the gills of the shark in the first pic;

Last edited by Xlobsterman; 07-30-2006 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added a pic
Xlobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
seamonster

hey lobbie, the shark that u caught is a short fin mako ya? i know great whites are protected species, what bout the cousin of the great white "beer crazed mako"?

judging from the looks of your pics, it seems like a shoot first, ask questions later scenerio.

do you use chum when fishing for sharks? what kindda gear and equipment would you need when fishing for them?

cool catch and funny pic dude!!
seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
navyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlobsterman
Well Boys & Girls,
it is legal to discharge a firearm when you are 3 miles offshore! This puts you in Federal waters, and out of the local city/county juristiction!

When I fished sharks in So. Cal. I shot everything I landed with a Stainless Ruger 22/45 I had holstered to my fighting belt. The 22 was cheap to shoot, and it worked great for me!!!! I would shoot the shark in the gills, this would drop the sharks blood presure, and they would die fairly quick.

Notice the bullet holes in the gills of the shark in the first pic;

hate to tell you this but even in federal waters you cannot shoot any type of sealife. So if you get caught shooting a shark in federal waters (unless it's on your boat and for saftey reasons) you'll face federal charges. As far as the US Coast Guard is concerned you cannot discharge a firearm for sport or into the water past the 3 mile marker unless it's for a saftey issue like landing a shark. But again the shark must be on your boat, not in the water.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Xlobsterman

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyfish
hate to tell you this but even in federal waters you cannot shoot any type of sealife. So if you get caught shooting a shark in federal waters (unless it's on your boat and for saftey reasons) you'll face federal charges. As far as the US Coast Guard is concerned you cannot discharge a firearm for sport or into the water past the 3 mile marker unless it's for a saftey issue like landing a shark. But again the shark must be on your boat, not in the water.
Hey Navyfish,
I do not want to start an argument here, but I would like to dispute the info you posted here! Can you quote any laws and/or statutes that confirm your statements? IE: links to the info online!

Also, 95% of the sharks I caught, and/or landed were taken while I was fishing under my Commerecial Fishing Permit from the DFG! And a commercial permit is basicly a licence to kill. And the rules that cover commercial fishing, are way less restrictive than a sportfishing permit/licence!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Randall when do we get to read and fishing report and pics? I want to see what you guys catch up there?

Is Salmon fishing big by your area?

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #11
Xlobsterman

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Hey Randall when do we get to read and fishing report and pics? I want to see what you guys catch up there?

Is Salmon fishing big by your area?
Hey Roger,
I wish I could post a fishing report for you & everyone, but unfortunately, I have not been doing much fishing because of some personal problems with my ageing parents that has consumed most of my spare time that would/could be spent fishing!!! But, when life gets back to normal, I will be fishing with a vengance!!!!

Also, the local Salmon fishery has been destroyed over the years by the acid rain that blows up here from the New England States. It has pretty much poisond the spawning rivers here in NS.

Anyhow, my main quest will be to catch one of the GIANT BlueFin Tunas that swim up the coast every year!!! These fish average 500-800lbs!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #12
Xlobsterman

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster
hey lobbie, the shark that u caught is a short fin mako ya? i know great whites are protected species, what bout the cousin of the great white "beer crazed mako"?

judging from the looks of your pics, it seems like a shoot first, ask questions later scenerio.

do you use chum when fishing for sharks? what kindda gear and equipment would you need when fishing for them?

cool catch and funny pic dude!!
Hey seamonster,
most of the mako sharks I caught while fishing in So. Cal. were taken while trolling baited lures. I did do some driftfishing with chum, but trolling is my prefered method to catch Makos! The rod & reel that I used were Shimanno 50 series lever drag reels, and Calstar custom made rods. I used 80lb dacron line with 20ft of 300lb mono leader, 5ft of 400lb 49strand wire, and stainless mustad hooks!!!