Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Reports

Old 07-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Rpt- Sat. 7-23 at the 213

Steve with BFT,

Cory with Albacore

One 25 lb. Bluefin Tuna, caught on a multi colored jet head, One 30+ lb. Albacore, caught on the fish trap at the 213.

Fishing Sat. with Steve Regier, on his friend Talat's 56' Michelson "Spikey Lady", with friends Terry, Chris & Bud. There's an old saying, " late to a party, miss all the fun", well we got a late start out of Ensenada, as Telat's son did not arrive until 3am. Went to Mike's to pick up some bait, enormous sluggish dines, of which 80% died by the time we started fishing, cleared the harbor at 3:45am. It was 64 miles to our destination, at 15 knots, means we miss the early bite for sure.

We started at the D220, arrived 7:45am, talked to Frank Brown, fishing on his father's boat "Dos Panchos". They were at the 295, at Grey light, and were trolling towards the D220, no fish and several empty kelps. Also talked to the skipper of the private boat "Chasing Tail", which had similar results at the D220. At 9am, with nothing, but a few empty kelps to report, heard Jim "Wild Cat" report a wide open bite about 12 miles north of us, while we were just passing the 1010 high spot. Pulled in the jigs and ran, but we were late to the area, surrounded by several hundred boats, all cruising, few stopped, to go with almost all the sporties, of which most were on the move. Arriving in the area at 10am, was about one hour late of the early bite, and the hope for a late bite, quickly evaporated.

We trolled and trolled until 1pm when we had a double hookup, a Bluefin Tuna on a multi colored Jet Head, and I had just recently put out a Fish Trap, anchovy color, based on several reports of success on dragging the fish traps, which was bit by a 30+ lb. albacore.

That was it, as we called it a day at 3:30 pm, 67NM miles from the Coral. After cleaning the fish and the boat, we enjoyed another spectacular meal at the Hotel Coral, of saut?ed fresh albacore, in butter and sesame oil and deep fried, battered, Bluefin Tuna. We were hoping for some of their incredible sashimi Bluefin tuna, but a big wedding did not allow for the preparation time, darn! Too tired for the five hour journey home to Diamond Bar, spent the night on the boat, left at 5am and still faced a 1 hour and 10 minute wait at the border. Got home in time to shower and take the wife to church.

Steve thanks so much for the invite, Talat has a very luxurious boat to fish on, nice to meet youTalat, Chris and Terry, Bud always a pleasure to share a day on the water together with you. Hope we all do it again real soon.

Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
FishSniper1

Congrats on landing a fish through the fleet. With that kind of boat pressure, its incredible you found any fish biting.

That Michelson is a VERY nice ride. I was looking at 2 of them tail to tail at the Coral last month.

I've been off fishing for a week in No. Cal but I'm hoping to get on the water in the next 2 weeks for a day or two. We'll see what I've missed out on at work tomorrow. . . .

-JIM
FishSniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Hey Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSniper1
Congrats on landing a fish through the fleet. With that kind of boat pressure, its incredible you found any fish biting.

That Michelson is a VERY nice ride. I was looking at 2 of them tail to tail at the Coral last month.

I've been off fishing for a week in No. Cal but I'm hoping to get on the water in the next 2 weeks for a day or two. We'll see what I've missed out on at work tomorrow. . . .

-JIM
Thanks Jim, hope you get out and slam em.

Cory
Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Cory thats along boat ride but atleast you guys did not come back with a skunk!

Thanks for the report!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Het Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Hey Cory thats along boat ride but atleast you guys did not come back with a skunk!

Thanks for the report!
Getting the skunk off felt real good, and raised expectations for a late bite, but no such luck. Oh well that's fishing.

Thanks for the feedback Roger.

Cory