Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > The Political Angler

Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
scubapro5
Administrator

Default Department of Fish and Game Stages First K-9 Units

DFG News Release

Department of Fish and Game Stages First K-9 Units around the State Mar. 18, 2008

The Department of Fish and Game (DFG) has staged its first K-9 Unit graduates around the state, and has launched a second academy. The K-9 academy focuses on training of detection for ammunitions, quagga/zebra mussels, and other species based where the teams will be placed in the state.

?The dogs add depth to the abilities of our Game Wardens to stop criminal activities by speeding up searches while also providing protection for their handlers,? said Nancy Foley, DFG Enforcement Chief. ?Whether facing threats to homeland security or from the quagga and zebra mussels, these dogs will be a tremendous aid to law enforcement.?

The first six teams have been staged in law enforcement districts that cover the following counties: Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Madera, Marin, Mono, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Francisco, Sierra, Solano, Sonoma, Tulare and Yolo. When the teams are deployed they will have a specific patrol area, but are available to other areas that need support.

With DFG?s Game Warden force stretched so thin, the dogs will make patrols that much more effective. In addition to standard patrol support, the dogs will be able to assist with searches for missing persons and suspects, assist in locating evidence like spent ammunition and hidden firearms, and more. All of the DFG dogs will be trained in detecting quagga mussels (a very small, invasive freshwater mussel that seriously threatens California?s economy and environment). The training in ammunition and associated odor detection provides California with an additional level of homeland security. Other scent training may include bear, bear galls, deer, fish, elk, abalone, and waterfowl depending upon the patrol area.

?A dog?s scent ability has been estimated to be up to a million times stronger than a human?s,? said Lynette Shimek, K-9 handler and program coordinator. ?When dealing with something as small as quagga mussels on a boat or waterfowl hidden in the trunk of a vehicle, a dog will let us know quickly that something is not right.?

DFG plans to train up to 24 dogs. All dogs will be trained in detection, with some dogs receiving additional training in handler protection and apprehension. The first graduates of the academy completed training on February 15.

DFG?s K-9 Program will be largely funded through private donations. Donated funds will be received and administered by CalTIP (Californians Turn in Poachers and Polluters) Inc., a not for profit organization 501(C)(3). CalTIP works hand in hand with DFG and is closely aligned with the DFG?s secret witness reporting program ?CalTIP.? Organizations, agencies, and individuals can sponsor or donate funds to support a K-9 unit; all donations are tax deductible. For more information see www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/K9.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Natedogg
Team MOF

I'm not a big fan of the DFG guys. I support the reasons their out there (enforcement) just not the power trip most of Wardens are on. I hope the dogs help instead of giving them more power to abuse. I strongly recommend more training for the wardens and wile were at it maybe taking a look at rewriting the DFG book. Most of it makes no since and a lot of wardens don't even know it.

I guess what I?m trying to say is; the dogs know more than the Wardens do.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
kikaida
Super Moderator

I have to agree with you Nate, if a dog is on the scene I can just see it now. "Uh oh, he wagged his tail three times and licked his lips...you know what that means. Yep, afraid I gotta search you."

You know, with as much money as we pay for one stinkin license (hunting licenses too AND tags) and the money they collect from fines and the state you'd think they would have wardens up the butt.....but instead they are always "stretched so thin" and having budget issues. WTF?!

Our state admins are nothing but pigs at a trough...

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote