Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Technical

Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #31
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Hey Randy don't forget to take before and after pics
Roger, I already have the befores, thanks to you. I'll just use the ones where it was sitting in your driveway
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #32
FishSniper1

Quote:
Cortez banks could have some xint. fishing but just like anywhere else the bite could be off when you get out there

Most smaller boat fo the Cortez run in the fall when the seas are flat calm from Santa Ana conditions
I'd like to make a fall run out there. Just have to watch the temps to see if there's a shot at the fish before making the run.

I think we can do it!

-JIM
FishSniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #33
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

That's easy for you to say Jim- your boat can go anywhere!!! LOL
Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #34
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSniper1
I'd like to make a fall run out there. Just have to watch the temps to see if there's a shot at the fish before making the run.

I think we can do it!

-JIM
How many gallon fuel tank does the boat have?

And most important how many years of open ocean boating experience do you guys have? That will be the deciding factor in a run 100+ miles from the mainland and 50miles from the nearest island/land.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #35
FishSniper1

Quote:
How many gallon fuel tank does the boat have?

And most important how many years of open ocean boating experience do you guys have? That will be the deciding factor in a run 100+ miles from the mainland and 50miles from the nearest island/land.
I made several 100+ trips out last year but I didn't captain them. I would like to get into a navagation course just for the confidence. I know how to read a compass and besides the Furuno 1650 we also have 2 hand held GPS. But, I do need more time on the water. Never can get enough time on the water
My brother just finished his captains course last January and he was explaining to me about setting the compass for magnetic deviation. I think I can handle it.

The boat has a 300 mile range, but I would carry xtra fuel if I was going to make a run for the outer banks just as a precaution.

-JIM
Old 05-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #36
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

As for me, I have a modest amount of experience as a skipper and PBer. My current boat is my 18th. I've skippered, maintained, repaired and cusomized my own boats since high schol. As a teen, my summer job was at the yacht dealer slips in newport, cleaning and repairing minor dings, doing teak, etc etc. Most of my sea time included skippering to the flats, pipe, laguna reefs, dana reefs, 14 mile and some of the other local spots. I've been surfing since grade school and I was taught by my elders to keenly obsereve and read the winds, water currents, tides, temps, etc etc, etc. Those elements have a lot to say to us.

In the past four years, I've co-skippered a 26 Grady CC with twin OBs and tuna tower at distances (over ground) of up to and over 100 miles on ten trips. I used sompass for heading, GPS for course calculation and radar for obvious reasons. Although I've logged in many hours of sea time over the past twenty years, I'm relatively new to offshore, blue water skipering. I'm cautious about trying a trip like the Cortez. I would definitely take that one seriously, as any float plan should be respected.

But hey what the heck though, one guy I work with sailed to Hawaii SOLO. Now that's HARDCORE!!! Radder stuff has been done before, over the years...
Old 05-19-2005, 02:16 AM   #37
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSniper1
I made several 100+ trips out last year but I didn't captain them. I would like to get into a navagation course just for the confidence. I know how to read a compass and besides the Furuno 1650 we also have 2 hand held GPS. But, I do need more time on the water. Never can get enough time on the water
My brother just finished his captains course last January and he was explaining to me about setting the compass for magnetic deviation. I think I can handle it.

The boat has a 300 mile range, but I would carry xtra fuel if I was going to make a run for the outer banks just as a precaution.

-JIM
Hey Jim keep me in mind if/when you make the run this fall if you have room for one more.We can bring hoopnets and have lobster for dinner

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 05-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #38
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Quote:
Hey Jim keep me in mind if/when you make the run this fall if you have room for one more.We can bring hoopnets and have lobster for dinner
...And my boat can be your dinghy...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #39
navyfish

Just beware of floating debris. Take a life raft with you. When we went to the 302 a couple weeks ago we crossed paths with a floating tree. Not a branch a tree. This thing would've hurt a big sportie. Lucky for us our third didn't show till 4:00am otherwise we were running at night for the spot. Total hazards for the day; 1 tree, 2 logs, 2 pallets, 1 blue tarp & 1 nav. bouy with a burned out light and no bell.
If anybody needs someone to share costs, let me know. I make a good paddy 'n' hazard spotter too.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #40
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyfish
Just beware of floating debris. Take a life raft with you. When we went to the 302 a couple weeks ago we crossed paths with a floating tree. Not a branch a tree. This thing would've hurt a big sportie. Lucky for us our third didn't show till 4:00am otherwise we were running at night for the spot. Total hazards for the day; 1 tree, 2 logs, 2 pallets, 1 blue tarp & 1 nav. bouy with a burned out light and no bell.
If anybody needs someone to share costs, let me know. I make a good paddy 'n' hazard spotter too.
Dang Mark that's a lot of junk that could (and has) created nightmares and sunk fishing boats Great reminder...Safety first
Old 06-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #41
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default It's getting there

Well, today we finished all the welding for the bottom half of the tower- mainly it was a matter of narrowing the structure and custom fabbing the mounting pads

Here are some

Old 06-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #42
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Randy looking good!

When you get time take some pictures of fish to the boat so the boat remembers what fish looks like ok

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 06-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #43
FishSniper1

Looks GREAT Randy ! You're making some serious progress on the tower. Are they paying you to work on it at work

Seriously, if you need a hand and I can do it call me. I'll PM you my cell #

-JIM
Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #44
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default Ha Ha Ha

Uh, very funny Roger

Thanks for the comliments guys Notice the upper hlaf of the tower in the bed of the truck, the wooden frame installation jig, foam under the pads, duck tape holding the foam on, and tiedown/ support lines The welds are shiny like aluminum foil more to come later...
Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #45
Fishnit

Thumbs up

Right-on! Randy she's looking great.
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote