Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Fish Species and Techniques

Old 11-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
biggabe
Team MOF

Default HALIBUT FISHING.

is there a time of the year that is better than another to catch halibut, i mean is there a breeding season for these fish, and wheres a good location to catch flaties. i need to go catch some 8) 8) 8) hint hint ''ROGER''
biggabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Gabe halibut fishing is alot like sharkfishing where you have to cover alot of ground in hopes of catching a fish and if you get one or two fish it's considered a good day.

The best time to fish halibut is spring but they is some people catching them pretty good right now in November so they can be caught anytime of the yesr.

Here is a link to a tutoral on everything you need to know on how to catch halibut.

http://www.insidesportfishing.com/we...rArticle1.html

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
biggabe
Team MOF

hey roger lots of info on that website,, thanks...
biggabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
CPC

Good call, I never try for Hali, but do it a bunch when flylining Dines or Chovies. A couple swipes on the spool, and if they aint swimming, time for fresh bait.

I am sure you got a few out of the spot just north of the Chee Chee's Gigante in front of San O eh Greg? A little north and out about 60 feet deep some good halibut, sure they glow and got 3 eyes, but they taste real good. :P
CPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
CPC

How far out you need to paddle? I never tried from a surfboard.

Swell is filling in a bit today. Nice Barrells north side of Huntington, and still that nicce clean fall wind.
CPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
BigFishGreg

Within 1 mile of the mouth of Newport Harbor, from the mouth and going SW from 40-75' all good, all winter. Drifted that area almost every week from end of Oct to 1st of April. Avg a Hali' a trip. Best trip was 4, all between 10 - 25 #'s. 20# test tied to a small black swivel w/ 1oz + egg sinker above the swivel tied to 14-17# flouro (I like and did well with Berkely (sp?) Vanish) about 3' long ending w/ a 2/0-3/0 hook and a fresh whole squid. Did better on squid than any other bait including live sardines or anchovies. I think the movement along with the smell of the squid attracts them. The squid needs to be fresh though (fresh frozen works very well) If you use the frozen crap from the market all you'll end up with is Tomcod, LizardFish, short Lings, Batrays and other assorted junk. Drift back parallel to the beach more or less depending on current and wind. If you get in the eel grass all you'll catch is junk. North of the jetty all we ever caught was junk w/ the occasional small Sandbass. You can also catch some Lrg. (3#+) Sandbass with the same rig, but all the larger ones we caught were more or less on the sw side of the jetty. Don't bother between the bell buoy and the jetties either. Good luck. Pay attn. where and how deep you catch them and more will be in the same depth/area.
BigFishGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Greg do you still have a boat?

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
BigFishGreg

At the time of my "Halibut Marathon" I fished on a good friends boat 2-3 times a week. He was retired and I had my own business. Now, no business and no friends boat (he moved to Vegas). I have free access to a friends small boat. It's only 17' and I need to put a new floor in it. 1/2 way there as the old floors out,trailer bearings have been repacked,new tires, and a new winch. Floor, bait tank, swivel bucket seats are next. 90hp Chrysler outboards in good shape as well as my friends bank account. All the boats I've personally owned have been small sailboats ( a Hobie 18' and a Lido 14') My goal along with a new business is a 23' catamaran fishing boat.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #9
Reyno022

23' footer huh...not bad at all. I am sure you could have some fun on that thing for sure :!:
Reyno022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
BigFishGreg

"Fer sure, fer sure". Thanks. I want something that handles rough water, has extended range capability for Baja, and won't break the bank at the fuel dock.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
livebait

i know, i know this post was back in 2004, just wanted to know if there is a new place for that article, like if some one copied and pasted it some where because the old link is no longer good and the search function is no good on insidesportfishing.
livebait is offline   Reply With Quote