Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Sportboats Board

Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
navyfish

Default 5/22/06 Just fishing charter on the Premier

I got a shot at a limited load (30 person) 3/4 day run aboard the Premier Monday. We got the morning started off right with 2 tanks already loaded with live squid and a trash can of fresh dead waiting for us at the breakwall. Danny was running the boat for the day, Karl was working the deck and Jimmy (smelt) was playing cook. Not bad, three of the better skippers in the area all working the trip together. The game plan was look for WSB and yellows and fish bass in between.

We left the dock at 6:00am and had a cold wind and some chop, but once we got to the island the sun came out and the day started looking good. Our first stop had a small fork chasing a jig to the boat followed by what we think were 2 more on bait. We'll never know cause the pitchforks were out and the farmers were busy. We worked the area for some nice checkers but had to move when the seal came in and started to eat calicos off your line. We ran west to another spot and had some more small forks around the boat and a good bite on bass. We pulled some big bass which were put in the bait tank to be released after jackpot. We worked our way up the island and back down for a steady bite on bass. The WSB never showed and the forks were just not up to eating. But the fishing was great overall.

We had 2 sargo's come on that weighed around 3-4lbs each, all the 2+ lb blue perch you could want, a few sheephead, 2 yellows on the boat and I'd say 5 lost, 1 bat ray decked and 3 cut loose, some cudas, 1 halibut and a few bonito. It was a great trip with all the calicos you could catch. My total was 1 bonito, 1 bat ray, 5 14" calicos to eat, 12 released & 2 lost to the kelp. Here's a pic of the bat

Thanks to Pete from Just Fishing for seting up the trip, Danny, Karl & Jimmy were great. You guys really worked hard to get us into a good bite.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh

Last edited by navyfish; 05-24-2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add date
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
kikaida
Super Moderator

Nice variety there, sounds like it was a good trip!

Thanks for the report Mark.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Mark good to hear you got out fishing.

Did you keep the bat ray? And if so how do you prepare/cook them?

Thanks for the report!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
navyfish

I have 1 wing to try out, gave the other to a friend. I'm looking at a couple ways to prepare it. I'm going to try to smoke some to see if it will work. I'll post a report on it when I cook it up this weekend.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
scubapro5
Administrator

I read before that you fry them up like scalops.

Try to salt-pepper-flour a piece and let me know how it tastes

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote