Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Diving Forums > Diving Reports

Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
scubapro5
Administrator

Default Lightning Does Strike Twice! Redondo Canyon Dive 11/26/2010

Met up with Frank and MikeLB in Redondo for some lobster diving since my freezer is empty.

Noaa showed tonight was suppose to be the calmest night with 1-2ft swells and 10kts or less wind but they were wrong like usual with washing machine conditions and some swells at 4-5ft.

I decided to dive one of my deep spots in the canyon at 150-160ft..

As soon as I get down the first bug I see is a 5lber that quickly darts back in the hole and I only have it by the anntena and i'm upto my arm pit in the hole.

I was able to get my fingers to the base of the anntena but could not get the leverage needed to pull the bug out of the hole so I had to let it go.

I forgot to put anti fog in my mask so I had to keep clearing my mask every 30sec so half the time I am looking though a foggy mask.

There was a fair amount of lobsters but also alot of shorts to keep measuring...I managed to get 6 lobsters then threw my foggy mask I see what appears to be a maine lobster.

I shine my light away from the lobster clear my mask and yes its a maine lobster. I quickly go to grab him but he quickly raises his claws and darts into a hole.

I paused not wanting to blindly reach into the hole and get pinched but decided to try anyways. I am feeling around upto my arm pit again but no luck the hole is too deep.

I swam away going deeper thinking I will get him next time and I soon find another lobster to round out my limit so I start heading back up and took another look for the maine lobster and he made a huge mistake by peaking back out of the hole.

I quickly pulled him out of the hole by one claw then got a hold of him by the head and it was game over.

While I was decoing I was still in disbelief that I got another maine lobster and shined my light into my bag to make sure it was really there LOL

The maine lobster was about 2 1/2 - 3lb size I forgot to weigh him but I kept him alive at my boat dock and I will find out if DFG bioligist wants to study it or if a aquarium wants it.

When I caught my first maine lobster it was 7 1/2lbs in which I ate the same day then later found out that the dfg bioligist wanted to study it but I told them I ate it already so I will give them a call and see if they want to study this one.

Here is a link to my first maine lobster from 6yrs ago and what weird is that I caught that one November 29 2004 and this one Nov.26...almost the same date.

http://momentoffame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217

MikeLB later did his dive and caught 6 lobsters and we headed in.

This is the pic of the ugly 7 1/2lber I caught 6yrs ago

Roger

www.momentoffame.com

Last edited by scubapro5; 12-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Fishnit

WOW! What are the odds........... Did the bioligist want him?
Nice job there Roger!
Fishnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnit View Post
WOW! What are the odds........... Did the bioligist want him?
Nice job there Roger!
We ended up eatting it and boy was it good!!

I am having a potluck dinner Dec.18th at 5pm....I will call you

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote