Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Fish Species and Techniques

Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
scubapro5
Administrator

Default Trout tips and tricks?

Everyone knows the trebble hook and salmon egg method,what other baits and lures work?

Does those gold hooks help?

Flouro?

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
kikaida
Super Moderator

A good lure to use is a super-duper. I've landed a fair amount of trout on those. Rooster tails will also kill fish (pretty much any small spinner).

For natural bait, an inflated night-crawler is always dependable. The dirtier the water the smaller you want your leader. Like 8-12 inches (depending if the bottom is weedy).

The dough baits are always producing too, power-bait in chartreuse has always been my fave but some swear by the rainbow colored. On trick I heard is that if you roll your bait out to look more like a worm on the hook versus just a ball you'll have better luck. I haven't been able to prove this true but thought I'd through it out there.

One thing I like to do when using dough bait is to try to create a contrast. For example, I'll get those micro sized power-worms (any tiny rubber worm will work) say in red and I'll hook it onto an egg hook, then I'll ball chartreuse power-bait around it. So now it looks like a tadpole. You got the scent of the dough and the slight action of the worm hanging off the back and the color contrast. That seems to work well, better in clear water.

Another thing, if you are fishing the shore don't be afraid to cast only about 10 feet out...or less. Seems you'll get nailed quite a bit near the shore. Don't know why, maybe cause that?s wear terrestrial bugs crawl in? But typically I'll have one line way the hell out there and one in real close. seems the closer one will out perform the farther one. (I learned this by watching a little kid that could cast but was catching fish, little turd!)

Also if you are at the lake or stream, keep a low-profile. People think its dumb but if the trout see you walking around they will be less inclined to bite. I don't know about yoos-guys but when I first started trout fishing, I remember being at the Kern and spotting some nice trout holed-up in an eddy. Man I spent hours dragging bait past their noses and in the end out of frustration even contemplated snagging them. Then I learned that if you can see them they can see you and are less likely to bite. To date every trout I ever caught I never saw coming (aside from boils). So logic dictates to keep a low profile and not be overly obvious. (Camo and face-paint help.......Just kidding)

I just started experimenting with fluro but as you know my last couple trout outings have been a bust. Too warm, dirty water and slim pickins makes it pretty hard to catch em. The trout season is pretty much over for me at local lakes, all that rain we had earlier this year pretty much squashed the season for me. Yeah you can still catch um but this time of year my attention begins to focus on the salt.

Happy trouting!

Last edited by kikaida; 04-25-2005 at 01:36 PM.
kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Sounds like some god tip Johnny!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 08-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
FWC_Cliff

I have to give some props to some guys that sent my show some lures. They are little trout worms, and I figured they wouldn't be worth S##t, but we caught a couple nice rainbows in the little river we were plinking through using half of one threaded on little jig heads. There site is http://www.lipripperz.com (I think)
FWC_Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
navyfish

Lip ripperz work great. Put on on a mini jig and drift a lake. White jig and orange worm was hot last season.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Cliff welcome aboard!

Any and all tips are welcome

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
kikaida
Super Moderator

Welcome to the boards Cliff!

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

wELCOME cLIF!

Look for structure and eddies, especially pools. All GREAT tips, guys.
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
ReelFun

do trout bite on the troll or is that more of a bass thing?
ReelFun is offline   Reply With Quote