Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Other Saltwater Fishing Reports

Old 07-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Rpt-Cabo Marlin 7-10-05

Cory with 165 lb. Striped Marlin which was hooked deep and died.

Cabo San Lucas 7-5-05, three Striped Marlin 180, 165 and 140 lbs., 7-7-05, one Striped Marlin 190 + lbs.

Fishing Tuesday 7-5-05 with Baja Mike and friend Tony on the 28' Charter boat "El Chileto" of Reel Easy Charters, in Cabo San Lucas. I posed on the boards I would be down in Cabo and was looking to share a boat, and I hooked up with Mike & Tony. Baja Mike fishes Cabo a number of times annually.

We left the slip at 6:30am, stopped with the Federales, to show our permits, then picked up our bait, consisting of a mix of Mackeral and Cabalito, bait was scarce, so we only received 7 for $20, of which two mac's were only 4-5". Didn't matter really, as we returned with bait.

The pacific side contained rough, colder water, as it had been blowing for several weeks, and was still blowing, white caps at 7am, when we left this morning, Sun. 7-10-05. The crew took us up the Cortez side some 30+ miles in fairly calm seas, but with rather substantial swells, resulting from a recent tropical storm below mainland Mexico. Shortly after putting out the trolling lures, we got a knockdown on the starboard outrigger, it was a big Dorado, but quickly unbuttoned. Within the next several hours, we baited five Striped Marlin, none of which were hungry, then someone rang the lunch bell, and it was game on. The sixth Marlin was eager to eat, and attacked the recently placed dead mackerel on the center trolling rig

Here I am pulling hard, stand up style, my preferred method of fighting these very special game fish.

I worked the Striped Marlin hard, and in about 15 minutes, it was leadered. I asked the crew to release the fish, before we realized it was hooked very deep and bleeding profusely. Captain Gayo estimated it to weigh 165 lbs. if so, my personal best Striped Marlin, previous best was 147.

Here is the bleeder.

We had not traveled 1/4 mile before hooking up another Striped Marlin on a lure. Here is Baja Mike with a serious bend in his rod.

Mike fought the fish for 15 minutes and asked Tony to take over, Tony declined so I began to put the hurt to it. However, it took me another 20 minutes to leader the fish, which was still too green, and it took several runs. Brought it to leader at least four times, before Pollo successfully pulled the hook and we released it. This Marlin was estimated to be 180 lbs.

We asked the crew to target only tuna from this point on, and Pollo put on a pink tuna feather, which within 200 yards, was inhaled by another Marlin. Gad were they hungry or what?

Here is Tony hooked up to our third marlin of the day.

Tony made short work of the Striped Marlin estimated at 140 lbs., and unfortunately we had another bleeder on our hands, what a shame? It was certainly expected to die, as when released it would not swim. We made an effort to drag the Marlin along side the boat and run water thru it's gills, but to no avail, it was too far gone.

The skipper received a distress call, and we headed over to find a boat that had a broken fuel line. So we became a Good Samaritan, ending a very successful day of fishing..

Interestingly enough we faced the same circumstance on our Thursday trip, also needing a tow, back to the dock only six miles out.

The next morning, I woke up to this magnificent view from the balcony of our room, at the Hotel Finisterra, we have had a timeshare there for nine years. The place is simply paradise.

I called David Milewski, who was staying next door at the Playa Grande. We agreed to have breakfast together with my wife Sheryl, and his wife Judy, at the "Office", a quaint, very popular little outdoor restaurant, on the beach. We discussed our fishing plans for Thursday, over Bloody Mary's, and great food, and agreed the El Chileto was a good choice. Spent the rest of the day with the wife on Weds. soaking up some rays, while sipping on Margaritas and Pina Coladas, and snacked on an order of Melted Cheese and Bean Nachos, con guacamole, yum yum!

Took some filets of the Striped Marlin, and some Yellowfin tuna, which Baja Mike had caught on Monday, to Alexander's for dinner. My wife Sheryl and I, have made a tradition in Cabo for over 15 years to bring our fresh catch to be cooked for a spectacular "Seafood Fondue"at Alexander's. The fish is lightly saut?ed in Garlic butter, and surrounds a boiling pot containing "Shrimp Bisque", also served with rice and vegetables. The extreme delicacy in dining pleasure is when you dip your fish, pink in the middle into the boiling bisque, and then into one of five exquisite sauces, curry, French dip, capers, onions, and tartar sauce, and several others which are totally unique to the taste buds, but melt in your mouth, and leave a savory flavor only to be experienced live.

Awoke at 5:15 am Thursday and picked up David to spend another day on the high seas in Paradise. After picking up some ice, coffee and some delicious "hot" ham, cheese and egg breakfast burritos, to go with the Modelo and Bohemia beer, and roast beef and swiss cheese sandwiches, in case we get hungry later in the day. The El Chileto left promptly at 6:30 am and we did the same routine to begin the day., except we asked to target tuna or Dorado, perhaps needing extra bait, so we paid $30 for a dozen Cabilitos, just in case.

The Captain said the best tuna bite was on the pacific side, so we took a look, nope still rough seas, and blowing. We instead headed straight offshore, some 30 miles, and there must be a wall there, because conditions were ideal. It was a very long day, trolling thru several schools of dolphin to no avail. Baited one marlin before noon, but not hungry. Finally at 1pm, almost time to head home, the crew spots it Marlin sunning on the surface. Pollo tossed a big Cabalito, and the Marlin lit up, engulfed the big bait, and Captain Gayo slammed the throttles forward, hook up! Oh darn, unbuttoned. Did a turn, the Marlin reappeared, Pollo tossed another bait, once again the Big Striped Marlin lit up and charged the bait, and this one stuck!

Here is David hooked up.

Difficult to see, but here is a couple of pic's of the Marlin putting on a show.

David with his personal best Striped Marlin estimated at over 190 lbs., safely released. The crew brings the fish on board, allowing me to take a pic, despite our pleas to release it. They finally do.

Baja Mike, Tony and David, a pleasure to share a day on the water together. Hope we do it again soon.

Cory
tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
FishSniper1

Sounds like a great trip Cory. Was there any trouble with the red tide causing the lack of bait situation ?

And, what was up with that capt. & crew. Do they want to work themselves out of a charter business ?
I guess the customer isn't always right down there when it comes to C&R.

Glad you had a good time, welcome back to the USA !

-JIM
FishSniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSniper1
Sounds like a great trip Cory. Was there any trouble with the red tide causing the lack of bait situation ?

And, what was up with that capt. & crew. Do they want to work themselves out of a charter business ?
I guess the customer isn't always right down there when it comes to C&R.

Glad you had a good time, welcome back to the USA !

-JIM
Cold dirty green water inshore, the crew needs a lesson for sure. Thanks for the feedback Jim. Cory
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default hmmm...

..glad you got hooked up. All in all, it sounds like you had a nice time
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Cory looks like a fun trip an dI love the pics,makes me want to go vacation there.

Thanks for the trip report!!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
tunaslam
Team MOF

Default Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Hey Cory looks like a fun trip an dI love the pics,makes me want to go vacation there.

Thanks for the trip report!!
Thanks Roger, anyone who goes to Cabo, generally does not want to leave. Cory