Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Other Saltwater Fishing Reports

Old 06-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
navyfish

Talking Ensenada 6/3/05

First off I wat to thank Pam for the room and Ivan & Mr. Cruz for the great fishing trip.
We started off the day with a fresh pot of coffee and a wake up call from Pam, Casa De Pamela @ 4:45am. We shot the 1/4 mile down the road to Vonny's to load the pangas for the trip. Ivan (the owner) was there waiting for us and helped us get loaded. Our guide showed up and we made the introductions, jumped into the truck and headed for the beach.
The june gloom was working hard but the wind and seas were flat and the air was warm. Ivan and his guides launched the panga and we walked out in the water to load up. Mr Cruz headed out to the local spot for tails while looking for birds. It wasn't long before we found them under a flock of gulls. We we're informed the best way to fish them is with a blue/white surface jig or one of the plain aluminum one Ivan sells in the tackle shop. Our first stop produced no bites, so off to the hunt again. More working birds and big schools of 25+ lb tails boiling but no strikes. We finally got a good look at the bait in the water and it was pinhead chovys. The tails were gorging on them. We get a call from the sister panga. Beto the 2nd guide, boated a 25lb'er on the iron. Both pangas were working together chasing the various schools of tails. We pull up one a school and start tossing the iron. No bites at first, then a couple followers then, BAM! I hit 5' from the boat. I watched the tails come up and roll on my iron. Let it take, reel in slack, set hook, rod bends & goodbye fish. Lip hooked. This went on for another hour before they just vanished along with the birds. We did hit a school of scooters and got 5 on the boat before the vanished too. We spent our last hour boating a load of BIG REDS. These are the kind that win JP's in our area. The other panga got 1 more tails on the troll. A fat 30+ lb mossback and a load of reds and lings.
If you ever want to do a traditional panga trip with great service go to Vonny's and you wont be sorry. www.vonnysfleet.com Ivan can get you in contact with Pam for a room. Here's some more pics.

Vonny's tackle shop;

our room we stayed in;

another pic of the room;

one of the many roadside stands;

Ivan (left side) & the cleaning table after the days over, w/ customers;

View of Ensenada bay from Casa De Pamela;

This is the larger rental unit;

This is a 120qt cooler, so you can get a idea of the size of the fish;

Here's some of the rockfish. I gave some to friends on the way home. Those wood planks are about 14" wide, so you can see the size of the fish we were getting; The rockfish were all caught in about 1 hours time. so you get a idea about how fishing was. And these guys use no fishfinder gear. Just visuals off landmarks to find the spots.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh

Last edited by navyfish; 06-08-2005 at 08:51 AM.
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
alBACKore14

sounded likea hell of a time down in ensenada. great report and pics. the hotel u were stayin at looks reall nice too. how much $ and how many days>?

Eric.
alBACKore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Mark to bad you didnt get that Yellow to stick.

Thanks for the report and pics!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default Razor Sharp Hooks?

Sounds like you had a great time. I think we all wish we could have been there too

Sorry you lost such a nice fish Hey, Mark, how often do you sharpen your hooks? My brother Rocky is a stickler for keeping his RAZOR- he was one of my main teachers/guides as a kid Do think it didn't stick cause it wasn't sharp enough or was it just hooked in a bad spot on the lip?
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Slayer

Sounds like you guys had a great trip!! Thanks for dropping off the reds to me on your way home!! Those were hogs!! The tacos were awesome!!
Let me know when you want to go out of SD, it's been a while amigo!!
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
biggabe
Team MOF

taco's!!!
biggabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
alBACKore14

someone say tacos?????

hehe sorry i took your line gabe :]

Eric.
alBACKore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
navyfish

Albie, the room was $65.00/night for two of us. Pamela is great, she gives you a knock on the door to get you up for the trip and has a fresh pot of java sitting outside ready for you. It's very family like there.

Randy, I keep my hooks sharp too. I carry a file set in my tackle box. What it was is the tails were just moving in slow motion. They didn't crash the bait balls, they would come up and take a mouthful and slowly swim away. It was like they were a swimming net. The fish just came up and gummed the jig, if he would have hit it like they normally do it would've hooked him good. If I would have thought about it I could have put my little 2oz diamond jig on and probally got one on. It looks like a pinhead chovy, small and flashy.
Theres always next time.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Good observation, it's always good to think like the fish and also have several setups ready to go. You'll nail em next time
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
bass hunter

WOW, sounds like fun!! nice to know of a place not too far and reasonably priced with great fishing. Rooms look super clean too! Do you know how much the larger room is per night? Thanks for the pics!!
bass hunter is offline   Reply With Quote