Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Freshwater Fishing

Old 08-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default Kern/Gergen Ski Ranch 8/27 & 28

The Gergen Ski Ranch is owned by my buddys brother in law and it's in Bakersfield. It's a private invite-only place, so my family got invited and of course we accepted!

The ranch has it's own mineral hot springs which feeds a custom hot tub and overflows to fill the million-gallon man-made lake about 100 yards from the Kern. The lake has twin islands on either end, a slalom course, wakeboards, towables, single and double water skis, log rolling, pugil stick platform, diving board and "blobber", water basketball hoop, water trampoline, boat launch ramp, a boathouse with air lift, a ski-nautique inboard boat, wave runners, a three-to-four strory high water slide and foam waterslide mats.

The property also features a regular full basketball court, tennis court, kids playground, three-to-four story rock-climbing wall comlete with rigging, petting zoo and aviary, horses, ostriches, emus, chickens, pheasants, cockatoos, peacocks & peahens, pistachio farm, football field, separate paintball field, golf driving range, volleyball court, lakeside 4 bedroom house and 4-car garage, lakeside outdoor sheltered open-air grill, kitchen and eating area, two cabins and a full boys and girls dorm with kitchen and recreation room complete with ping-pong, pool, foosball, darts, games etc, etc.

Well, what more can I say than "we had a good time".

Garrison learned how to do the dog-paddle/crawl swim stroke and at one point, he swam continuosly for over one hour without touching the lake bottom. He also jumped in and went underwater and held his breath as he bobbed up to the surface. He had a floaty vest on and we were there with him every moment of the time, but still not bad for a 3-year old. I let him know how proud I was

Steve P. caught two 12 inch small mouth bass at the Kern and the rest of us got skunked, so we swam around in a eddy pool and grabbed an iron-chucking outfit and had a saltwater cast-off. It was FUN casting the tady 45 almost to the other side of the river and having all the float tubers in shock Thor had the longest cast and almost ended up in the trees on the other side

The owner asked me to drive the boat and he taught me how to pilot a ski boat. I was shocked when he asked me to gun it and scream full-plane around the island's narrow island passages WITHOUT slowing down. That boat was on rails and I was AMAZED at how well it handled! We were going 25 MPH less than ten feet from the rocky island and rocky shore AMAZING! I pulled Steve around the course and he made those crazy hairpins while I just focused on making the turns CRAZY

At one point, Steve was stepping around the shore and while casting his tiny spinner, he crunched and collapsed a beaver lodge and was up to his neck in water- wallet, car remote and cell phone in his pocket

At another time, THor's jig got stuck in a stump, so i grabbed the line and followed it to the snag and risked life and limb to do some river free-diving to get that thing back Luckily, it was near the bank of the swift-moving river, otherwise, I woulda been going down, down, down river- FAST .

The main dinner course on Saturday night was Thors grilled alby steaks and squash medley We finished up with a worship music service and a bible message.
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default What is a "blobber"

It's FUN

Last edited by Mokahehteh; 08-29-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Where's the rest of the pictures?

Sounds like a fun place and good to hear you and your family had a fun time.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
kikaida
Super Moderator

Sweet! Sounds like a nice trip, bet it was hhhhhot! good thing you had the water near by.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Roger, I'll get the other shots loaded

Johnny, it was SMOKIN hot out there. It was so nice to have that waterpark of a lake and Kern river nearby. One of the funner things was drop-knee surfing the foam matts down the waterslide- a screaming fast ride! Almost like surfing in itself. The kids went hog wild in that water.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
kikaida
Super Moderator

Hehehehe, sueeeet!

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote