Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Other Saltwater Fishing Reports

Old 08-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
kikaida
Super Moderator

Default 45 minutes surf fishing Oxnard.

Well finally wet some line after a long lay-off. Yeah it was a quicky but I managed to sneak it in before the family woke up.

Any hoots, I was South of the CIH break-wall. Looks like the red tide is floating around in that area, at least whats left of it. It didn't look like it was in full force but it definalty was there.

I managed to catch half a dozen BSPs, little hand sized ones on 4# lite stuff. I figure if I would have played it out a bit and up-sized my hook a few sizes I may have hooked into a fat one. They difinately were there. But being how time was so limited I just opted for a quick fix and the sure thing. If any one is headed out for some of these guys, don't forget the panty-hose. These things are voracious on mussles and they'll steal your cheese every cast! Probably would have had a couple dozen in that time if I didn't have to keep rebaiting. They did not want to have anything to do with shrimp today.

Had the best Halibut I've ever eaten today too! That Korean food court on the North side of the habor has the freshest everything. More Sheep-head then you can imagine, Lings, White Fish, Opal Eye, Santa Barbra Prawns, various types of Rock Fish, Rock Crabs and Dungees all swimming around for your viewing and eating pleasure. Good stuff, Kim-Chee was a little on the sour side for me but some people like it that way...Didn't stop me from devouring it though

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Way to go on the BSPs. More fish than I caught at Kern.

Korean hali sounds yumm. I love that sour kimchi- it's called shin-kimchi.

Glad you got on the water- I won't ask about your choice of clothing (LOL).
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
kikaida
Super Moderator

I was hoping for the full Korean spread of goodies to go with my 'butt but I don't know what thats called. Do you know?

Old 08-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Default New vocabulary word for the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikaida
I was hoping for the full Korean spread of goodies to go with my 'butt but I don't know what thats called. Do you know?
Those "side dishes" are called "pan chan" (say: Pan as in "pawn" shop and Chan rhymes with John). I love the little candied sauries, the acorn jelly strips, Korean potato salad, pickled teriyaki-flavored lotus roots (they look like little brown wagon wheels), cucumber kimchi, sticky baked beans, pickled bean sprouts, kak-toogi, fruit salad, teri salt beef chunks, chang-jorrim, leafy romaine-style lettuce with salty chili/bean dip, etc etc.. Aw man, getting hungry again
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
kikaida
Super Moderator

I need ALL of that stuff right now!! Thanks for the heads up, now I know what to ask for.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
scubapro5
Administrator

Hey Johnny good to hear you caught some fish.

How does the panty hose thing work?

Thanks for the report!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
kikaida
Super Moderator

A while back I was fishing the rocks in ventura and kept getting my cheese (mussles) stolen. This old Mexican guy showed me a piece of panty hose that he had cut out and stuffed full of mussles and wrapped it up into a ball and pinned on his hook. He said get all the stretch out first so the smell would come through easier. And he was catching a bunch of fish and not rebaiting very much.

In exchange for his wisdom......I explained the values and wonders of ice.

Oh yeah, just incase a swarm of box-jellies hit the shore you can put on the hose and not worry about getting stung! See this way you're prepaired too!!

Last edited by kikaida; 08-29-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
bass hunter

Way to go Johnny!! Fun on the light stuff, huh? I was there on Sunday a little south of where you were. I was using Berkley gulp sandworms. The perch LOVE those things. And one pack goes a long way because you only need to use 1/4 of a worm on a #4 hook. One piece will catch 3-5 fish or more before you have to re-bait. Best colors: Camo, Brown/blue flake, and bloody. One bit of advice though, keep the bag of gulp in a ziploc because the stuff is SMELLY
bass hunter is offline   Reply With Quote