Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Private Boaters Technical

Old 12-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
navyfish

Default Aluminum skiff help

I found a person who has a aprox 12' -14' aluminum skiff that's been sitting in the driveway for a few years. I was thinking of making a offer but would like to know if anyone has taken one out for local coast fishing. Would it be worth the cost of a new motor or is it not a good local coast / kelp boat? I'm also thinking it would be a easy rig to take to baja for local fishing there too.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Mark, you're almost always better off getting a full package- boat, motor, trailer. Usually a better deal.

As far as aluminum, you see a TON down in baja. The'yre cheap, light and somewhat easy to fix. Look out for heavy corrosion and cracks. They tend to get stress cracks at seams and intersections. I would recommend getting the thing if it's nearly free. Don't spend too much on it.

You may want to stay inside the harbor or venture out to reefs on CALM, predictable days ONLY. If you find one with a wash deck like JOhnny's, you can be more brave. Some guys have taken that exact boat model to Cat or even in pretty big, deep waters in Hawaii.

Good luck.
Mokahehteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
navyfish

I'll have to look it over for cracks for sure. It's sitting on it's own trailer but it doesn't look like it's moved for years. The last registration on the hull is 1998. If it's cheap it could be a good harbor/local/lake putter.
Thanks for the heads up on what to look for.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Oh, check the spec. plate for motor rating info. Then check out the Recycler for motors. You could get lucky and find a good newer one for under 200 bucks.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
scubapro5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokahehteh
Mark, you're almost always better off getting a full package- boat, motor, trailer. Usually a better deal.
Good luck.
I agree with Randy and find a boat that has a motor and trailer since on that size they are fairly cheap.

I would not reccomend going outsise the breakwall with it unless its a very calm day and even then a bigger boat passing by could carry a big enough wave to swamp a boat that size.

Ask Gabe to sell you his boat,his is about 15-16ft and with the design he has with a semi "V" hull I would feel more comfortable taking it outside the breakwall.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

[quote=scubapro5][quote=deal. I would not reccomend going outsise the breakwall with it unless its a very calm day and even then a bigger boat passing by could carry a big enough wave to swamp a boat that size.[/quote]

Almost got swamped once in my 16 foot Indian style canoe with my wife at Irvine Lake. Some *KOOK* sped by in the Santiago Flats area and nearly did us in. The stinkin wake poured about 4 to 6 inches of water into the boat;I had to bail it out and we ended up with dripping wet butts and some pretty hard laughs AFTER it was all bailed out... The same thing or worse can happen in the ocean. You may not be laughing out there...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
navyfish

This one does have a v-hull shape. It resembles the ones you can rent at king harbor. I'll have to get a photo of it to post so you can really see it. The one thing I noticed is that it has a elevated seat in front. Like a bass boat. I just don't know what condition the trailer is in. If it's bad it'll probally be better to find another package?

Old 12-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Mokahehteh
Team MOF

Yep. Try to get a "freshwater only" boat. Trailer parts/work can add up fast. Yep, you'll be miles ahead (pardon the pun:)
Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
BigFishGreg

How much "freeboard" does it have ?? Is it a lake style boat or an ocean style ? If you have any questions about trailer repairs, I'm "the man", mucho boat trailer experience. The biggest thing besides lights and wiring is what kind of shape are the hubs/bearings in ? That thing is too light to have a trailer with brakes, but you never know. Any easy check for leaks/cracks in the hull is to put about a 1' of water in the hull (maybe more if its a deeper "v" hull). It doesn't hurt anything and it will show you where the cracks/leaks are. The boat needs to be on the trailer straight and it needs to be level otherwise the water will al be sitting on the "low" side.
BigFishGreg is offline   Reply With Quote