Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Other Saltwater Fishing Reports

Old 09-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
navyfish

Default late report - 9/17 King Harbor bass & bonito

I took my son down to fish the harbor in our raft. We started out about 6:00am and rowed out to infront of capt kids. We started tossing a kastmaster and kroc spoon. I got the frist hit from a nice 1lb bonito. We fished & drifted the area for 15 min with no action. We moved to the outer wall and no fish. Came back to capt kids and bam, the kids on his first bonito of the morning. 5 min later, bam, he's on again. This goes on for 4 fish straight. I'm trying to figure out what were doing different to see why I'm not hooking up. Then he tells me he's letting it sink down. Damn, he's getting good. I try it out and still cant get bit. Ok, time to re-set the drift and I leave the lure hanging. Wham, now I'm on. Up comes a nice 2lb bonito. Now that I have some self pride back we start tossing again & there goes the kid again. We ran into a guy from BD on his yak and he gave us some spots to try next time. Then while I'm BS'ing with him I get slammed. This is no bonito, after a few circles as the fish pulled the raft around, up comes a nice 2-3lb sandbass. Strange to catch that, since I was using a 3/8oz lure. You always think big bait, big fish. This was big fish , small bait. But it was a great 4 hours spent with my son. I remember the things like this from when I was young and hope he does too.

sand bass

My son and a pair of bonito

First blood (does it still count on a raft??? )

The days catch

Navy's Rubber.....It's a raft you sick people.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
kikaida
Super Moderator

Good going Mark! Nice to see the harbor is coming back to life. Thanks for the report and pics.

kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
scubapro5
Administrator

Looks like a fun fishing day to me!!

How was the red tide?

Next time try do some drifts just north of the bait barge.There has been some halibut being caught.

Thanks for the report and pics!

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
navyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro5
Looks like a fun fishing day to me!!

How was the red tide?

Next time try do some drifts just north of the bait barge.There has been some halibut being caught.

Thanks for the report and pics!
No red tide, the water was the normal green color. The water was warm also. Probally around 67 degree. And I'll have to try that area. Maybe this saturday.

TEAM MOF ~ the fish hunters cometh
navyfish is offline   Reply With Quote