Moment of Fame - Free Online Photo Hosting and Galleries!

Go Back   Moment of Fame > Fishing Forums > Main Fishing Board

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
scubapro5
Administrator

Default 200lb swordfish landed on 3/4 day boat san Diego

OUTDOORS REPORT
Surprise catch highlights trip

By Ed Zieralski
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 10, 2008

A three-quarter-day fishing trip for ordinary rockfish at the Del Mar Ridge area Wednesday became an adventure of a lifetime for 12 anglers on the Sea Trek out of Helgren's Sportfishing in Oceanside Harbor.

Captain Jerry Kohler was in the wheelhouse watching his anglers boat rockfish when he noticed a swordfish circling the boat. Kohler and deckhand Dominick Spinuza instructed the anglers to reel in their lines, and Spinuza took a shot at it by baiting a mackerel and casting toward the swordfish.
“I didn't know if he'd take it or not, but the swordfish hit the bait with his bill, and it was on,” Kohler said.

Spinuza had the right gear. He took the trolling feather off a rod and reel combo that was spooled with a 60-pound test line.

Kohler said it only took Spinuza about 20 minutes to boat the swordfish as Kohler maneuvered the 60-foot Sea Trek.

In the meantime, the 12 anglers on board had the best in reality fishing TV, with their captain and deckhand co-starring with a magnificent fish.

Kohler said the swordfish weighed 200 pounds, and everyone went home with some of the best tasting fish in the ocean – swordfish and limits of rockfish.

“We divided the swordfish up and gave a chunk out to each angler,” Kohler said.

Kohler said it's been at least 10 years since he's seen a swordfish landed on a three-quarter-day run. He remembers his anglers catching a bigeye and a swordfish on one trip in the late 1990s.

Roger

www.momentoffame.com
scubapro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
biggabe
Team MOF

cool. i hooked up a 200 plus a few weeks ago at the tanner banks, only had 30 lb. test, had him for a little while, then it was game over......
biggabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
BuckH

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggabee View Post
cool. i hooked up a 200 plus a few weeks ago at the tanner banks, only had 30 lb. test, had him for a little while, then I bought a bathmate and it was game over......
Huge!
BuckH is offline   Reply With Quote